Vitalstatistix and Country Arts SA are now seeking proposals for a regional South Australian work, to be commissioned for Climate Century.
Applications close on Friday 9 June.
Climate Century is a five-year project (2014-2018) inviting artists to respond broadly to provocations: how will we understand and remember the climate century? And in considering this question, how might we imagine the condition of climate change, and dystopian or utopian futures, beyond our lifetimes?
Through Climate Century, Vitalstatistix and Country Arts SA are partnering to commission a new artwork by an artist connected with regional South Australia.
The selected artist/s will explore the broad themes of Climate Century and the experience of climate change in regional and remote South Australia, through experimental processes and in any art form. They will join five other works that are in development for Climate Century in 2017 and 2018.
One project will be selected for this final commission. The selected artist/s will receive investment of $20K over two years and significant in-kind support. They will participate in a lab at Vitalstatistix from 29 November – 3 December 2017, presenting artist talks and showings of the work-in-development. All works will then be presented at the culmination of Climate Century in late 2018.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We’re interested in projects that:
- Broadly explore ideas and provocations that underpin Climate Century – see more information here:
- Provide a methodology for genuine experimentation with ideas and forms alongside consideration of space, technology, interdisciplinary practice and social/community engagement, as relevant, as well as the project’s own carbon footprint;
- Are new works that have not been presented before (although may have undergone early creative development or extend an existing practice).
WHO CAN APPLY?
To apply you/the lead artist must be resident in South Australia. You may include non-SA collaborators in your project. You must indicate in your application your direct connection with regional South Australia – do you live regionally, does your family reside regionally, do you have an ongoing connection with a particular region of South Australia, will you reside regionally in making the work?
You must be available for the Climate Century lab, 29 November – 3 December 2017.
HOW TO APPLY
To submit your proposal, please provide us with the following:
– A detailed description of your proposal – including artistic rationale and methodology, your connection to regional SA as well as a summary of how you plan to make the work (max three pages).
– A description of the creative team undertaking the project – who you are and, if relevant, how you will work together. You may include short biographies (max two pages, including the bios).
– Two items of support material.
– Optional: Up to two letters of support or recommendation from an artistic peer.
Note: Please stick to the information we have asked for above – we do not require anything more than this. Non-pdf support material should be provided as URLs. Please ensure you clearly name your documents with your name and project title.
Submit your application here
For enquiries contact Becci Love, Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 8447 6211
APPLICATIONS CLOSE ON FRIDAY 9 June, 2017
Image: Winds of Increasing Magnitude, photo by Tony Kearney